Saturday, November 28, 2009

First Grade Excel Graphs

I may repeat this often but I teach students how to use the computer to create student made projects. I only see students once a week from 25-40 minutes depending on there grade level. Also, I don't teach just one class for each grade. I teach in a large school with 4 or 5 classes depending on the grade level.This is my current first grade lesson that was inspired by clicking around discovery streaming.

Day 1
First I opened up Microsoft Excel and typed yes and no on the spreadsheet. I asked each first grade student "Do Kitty's like to get baths?" I used the chart wizard to create a graph showing the results.
Next, we watched the Discovery Streaming movie titled Doggy Gets a Bath (Why Not Kitty, Too?).
After the movie I asked the students again if kitty's like baths and created a new graph.

Day 2
I used the following websites to help guide the instruction on how to practice using the mouse to draw pictures of cats for our bulletin board.
http://www.joysikorski.com/how_to_kitty.html
http://www.great-pictures-of-cats.com/how-to-draw-kittens.html

Day 3
I will use some of my planning time to create a photostory of the pictures and graphs.